Saturday, July 01, 2006

Just getting started

Hi!

I've been following this knitalong ever since it started -- I fell in love with Forecast the first time I saw it, and really wanted to knit it, but haven't been able to find exactly the right yarn... until now. I was at a yarn sale yesterday and there it was: The Yarn.
It's a Swedish yarn (I live in Uppsala, Sweden) called Bom-ull (supposedly a very witty name, since the yarn is 50% cotton, 50% wool, Swedish bomull means 'cotton' and ull means 'wool') and the color is a beautiful dark blue with, if anything, a hint of green. It's a little splitty but otherwise okay to knit with.

I started swatching right away:

(The color is all wrong in this picture; I think it has something to do with the flash, or lack of flash.)



The gauge seems to be pretty okay. I seem to be getting 18 sts/4", but I'm in between sizes M and L, so I'm making a size L.

As you can see, I tried a lot of different bobbles. I'm thinking of going with the 3-stitch one, but it still seems kind of... bobbly. Has anyone tried knitting a 2-stitch bobble?

After swatching, I couldn't wait to get started on the real thing. Here's my meager progress so far:






(I'm in no hurry to finish this as I probably won't be able to wear it until next year anyway, but I hope this knitalong will speed me up a little, at least.)

Happy knitting everyone,
Fi

2 Comments:

Blogger String Bean said...

I love the yarn you're using.

If you're not happy with the bobbles, you could just leave them off.

2:16 PM

 
Blogger Fi said...

Yeah, I tried that... but it turned out I liked the 3-stitch ones :)

2:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home