Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Forecast beginning

forecast start

Hi people! I started Forecast last night because I was craving cables and bobbles and interesting things to knit. So far, I like it. I'm using Rowanspun aran in Heath and while it's a little more subtle than some of my usual colour choices, I think it's suitably sophisticated for this pattern. Like most people, I went for a three-stitch bobble. I toyed with the idea of substituting knit for purl becuase the thought of all that purling was a little frightening, but actually on the right-side rows because you keep doing bits of cable, it doesn't feel like much more purling than for stocking stitch.

I couldn't get a M1 by knitting (or purling) into the bar between stitches to work without a hole, so I'm doing a purl into front and back. I'm also going to try doing fewer increases on the sleeve side of the raglan line because I usually find that sleeve tops made that way are far too big and this cardigan needs to be more fitted. Does that make sense? I think it's something to do with a different ratio of bust size to arm circumference for large bust sizes (I'm making the XL size.)

I do like the bobbles. They make the cables even more interesting.

Bekki

forecast bobbles

4 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

Bekki, Love the color. The red flecks make the brown so fun. How do you get your cables so nice and tight. Mine get all pulled out of shape on the edges. Grrr

9:20 AM

 
Blogger Pig wot flies said...

Dunno, I just do them and they work. Sorry, that's not very helpful! The yarn helps, it's very crisp. What's the structure of Cascade 220? It's not widely available in the UK, so I've never used it.

10:05 AM

 
Blogger jenknits said...

Cascade 220 is not twisted very tightly so it's not as sproingy as some. I think its maybe 4-ply? It's most widely used for felting is my understanding.

I'm a tight knitter (had to go up 3 needles sizes for this pattern) so when I get to the cables the extra pull on the stitch really seems to show. It's especially bad on my bobbles but I'm hoping that those little pulls will just stay on the wrong side.

10:42 AM

 
Blogger String Bean said...

Believe me, by the time you get to the middle of the first sleeve, you WILL be sick of bobbles.
I guarantee it. I'd make you a bet, but I'm on a bet losing spree (to my mom, sad, I know.)

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home