Saturday, April 15, 2006

Hello all. As I mentioned in my intro post, I am currently knitting three sweaters for work, two of which are original designs and due on May 1st The yarn for one is unspeakably tiny and just arrived from the mill a couple of days ago. Starting Forecast was foolhardy and somewhat defiant, but I think it's also necessary for my sanity...

This is the cable pattern I'm using in place of the horseshoe/bobble combo. I love twisted stitches and their high relief, and I thought this cable looked like the tangled courtship of Lizzy Bennet and Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy...

The cable is doing some funny things. Look at the zigzag it creates along the button band edge. I actually really like it. I'm thinking there would be a way to make a button band that would straighten this edge, but I don't know if I'll bother. The buttons I'm hoping to get for this are these JHB icicles, the brown ones.



This is a closeup of the cable so far. It will definitely need blocking as it skews to the left, but I think doing more repeats might balance it as well.

I find myself liking the wrong side almost better than the right. Right now the sweater is pretty much reversible, I'd lose the little ridge under the collar if I wore it wrong side out, but I think I'll end up liking the right side in the end.

Wrong side out:

Yes, that is a heck of a lot of markers, I've marked every increase point and my cable bits. It helps when watching absorbing movies, and when you're as spacy a knitter as I am.

Time to work on the required sweaters...sigh.

Cirilia

6 Comments:

Blogger jenknits said...

Whoa, that really does pull in along the buttonband edge. I love your yarn choice and the cables are a good choice I think for this pattern so I hope your buttonband fixes the zigzag. Can't wait to see how it comes out.

10:08 AM

 
Blogger carrie said...

that's a really cute cable design, and the buttons are fab. what book did the cable design come from?

11:35 AM

 
Blogger dlittlegarden said...

Lovely! Those buttons are a great choice.

11:51 AM

 
Blogger The Cope Family said...

You know, I think the zig zag adds interest to the edge. I'd do buttons on the zig and leave open zags :)

12:36 PM

 
Blogger String Bean said...

I'm not sure I like the cable only because it doesn't stand out as well as the original cable against the garter stitch. Maybe it's just the pictures. I'll probably change my mind (as I am wont to do) when I see the finished cardigan.

2:33 PM

 
Blogger The Skirt said...

Glad to see someone else needs lots of markers!

3:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home